The Portland Jazz Composers’ Ensemble is a 12-piece jazz chamber orchestra which commissions and performs original works by its members and by other jazz composers in the Portland music community and beyond. It is our mission to operate a large musical ensemble, to commission and perform original works by members of the ensemble and by other jazz composers in the Portland music community and elsewhere, to act as a forum for the development and presentation of works for large ensemble by established and emerging jazz composers, and to engage and enrich community awareness and appreciation of contemporary music. We also operate a grassroots label, PJCE Records, which releases albums of original music by local jazz artists.
- Enrich the first uniquely American art form.
- Cultivate the development of new music.
- Encourage and promote established and emerging living composers.
- Provide a forum for experimentation without commercial concern.
- Disseminate contemporary American music through publicity, recordings, newsletters and affordable concerts in varied venues to promote jazz appreciation both locally and nationally.
- Collaborate with artists, other nonprofits, and creative organizations in multiple disciplines.
- Foster relationships with educational institutions.
- Douglas Detrick, Executive Director
- Ryan Meagher, Operations Director and Director of PJCE Records
- Mieke Bruggeman, Development Director
- Hester Schell, Communications Manager/Events Coordinator
- Lynn Darroch, President, Jazz Journalist
- Tom Wiederrecht, Treasurer, CPA, Gary McGee and Co.
- Ron Oliver, Secretary, retired Biomedical Equipment Technician, OHSU; Habitat for Humanity volunteer
- Mark Kramer, Attorney, Kramer and Associates
- Don Caniparoli, Senior Technologist, Environmental Engineering, CH2M Hill
- John Wright, Attorney, Bonneville Power Administration
- Melanie Carlin Battle, writer, retired Director NASA Program, Wheeling Jesuit University; Senior Budget Analyst, National Institutes of Health